The perfect meal for blw, to purée, postpartum, post gastro or just any time you want to eat a nourishing and delicious meal! Rich in collagen, high in iron and zinc and many other nutrients to nourish ourselves and our little ones!
- 1.5-2kg osso buco
- 1 TBSP ghee or tallow or olive oil
- 1 brown onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 eggplant diced
- 1 sprig rosemary or thyme finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 800 ml passata or diced tomatoes
- 500 ml bone broth or stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- mashed potato/cauliflower, rice or risotto or through pasta.
- Preheat oven to 130c.
- In a large casserole dish add the ghee over a medium-high heat and then brown off the osso buco on both sides.
- Once browned transfer the meat to a bowl to rest, and to the hot pan add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, herbs and eggplant if using and allow to caramelise stirring occasionally.
- Add the Passata, bone broth, bay leaves to the dish and stir. Add the meat in an even layer and the resting juices. Ensure the liquid is nearly covering the meat, if not add more broth or water.
- Pop the lid on and place in the oven for around 6 hours or until the meat is falling off the bone.
- When ready - scoop the marrow out of the bones and shred the meat off. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with mashed potato or cauliflower or rice or through pasta!
If spoon feeding, puree all together until smooth Notes:
Freezes well for up to 6 months in deep freezer
Keep the bones for a bone broth.