Duck might not be a common staple food in your home, but did you know its quite high in iron – more so than other poultry like chicken and turkey. It is a great first food for babies, and this recipe can be introduced when you start solids. Duck meat is also a great source of vitamins B12, B6 and zinc which all work synergistically to help with iron absorption, support immune function and healthy growth and development.
Because this meat is braised, its a perfect texture for BLW. But you can also puree it with the braising juices if you are spoon-feeding your baby.
Braised Roasted Duck
- 2 kg duck whole
- 400 grams carrots
- 50 grams ginger
- 1 apple
- 4 small bayleaf
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp five spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170 C and take out a large baking pot/dutch oven
- Core the apple and chop it into quarters. Dice the garlic cloves and slice the ginger
- Pour the water into the pot and add in the garlic, ground coriander, bay leafs, five spice, cinnamon, cloves and apple cider vinegar. Mix gently to combine
- Place the duck into the pot upside down (breast side) leaving the top exposed. Place the apple, carrot and ginger around the sides of the pot. Cover with a lid and bring up to a simmer over the stop top
- Once up to a simmer, transfer the duck to the oven to cook covered for a further 75 minutes
- Remove the duck from the oven and flip it over. Turn up the oven to 220 and cook for a further 15 minutes until crispy on top.