You will start to notice a trend in a lot of the recipes here – a lot involve bone broth! That’s because it is such an incredibly nourishing food you can feed yourself and your child. It’s easily digestible, nutrient dense and an incredible rich source of minerals – boosting immunity and supporting our digestive tract. Broth is the perfect first ‘food’ postpartum, as well as making many recipes more delicious and nutrient dense.
Age appropriate: 1 meal a day +
Beef Bone Broth
- Slow cooker or large saucepan
- Stove top
- Large pot
- Container for storing fat
- Ice cube trays or containers
- 2 kg beef bones
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 bulb garlic roughly chopped
- Any vege scraps you might have Otherwise add 2 chopped carrots and 2 celery sticks
- 1 bayleaf
- Add the all ingredients to a slow cooker or a large saucepan and fill with water until the water is covering all the ingredients.
- Put on a low heat and simmer for as long as possible! I usually do mine in a large pot on the stove top and cook for 48 hours - you may have to keep topping up with water during the process as it will evaporate.
- Once cooked remove all solids (bones/veggies) and drain through a sieve.
- Allow to cool then scoop any solidified fat off the top - this fat can be stored in a seperate container in the fridge for a week and used to cook with!
- Then either store in the fridge for about a week, or freeze it in portions! For babies I love to freeze in ice cube trays to quickly add to mashed veggies! I also freeze in containers or zip lock bags in 500ml portions to add to casseroles/soups/ cook grains in etc!