AGE APPROPRIATE: when on 2 meals a day
These are the ‘happy belly porridge fingers’ from my book Milk to Meals – this recipe came about from my stubborn middle child refusing to eat any purée or be spoon fed – so I turned her leftover porridge into these porridge fingers using grass-fed gelatin, so it was a win-win in my eyes – she could be independent with her meal, have the added health benefits of the gelatin and there was no food waste!!
Of course you don’t have to use ‘leftover’ porridge to make these – it can be made fresh – or you can ultimately use any purée food.
Happy Belly Porridge Fingers
- Small Saucepan
- 1 cup Leftover porridge Can be oat, quinoa, rice, buckwheat etc
- 2 TBSP gelatin
- 2 TBSP water
- Place the water in a bowl, and add the gelatin powder on top - stir and allow it to ‘bloom’ (thicken)
- Place the leftover porridge in a small saucepan and when warm, add the gelatin mixture
- Stir until the gelatin mixture is melted and dissolved through the porridge
- Transfer to a glass container and place in the fridge for a couple of hours, until firm
- Cut into finger shaped slices and enjoy
Can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.