This recipe came about by accident one day when I whisked my gummies too much and they set half fluffy.. so the next time I made them, I purposefully whipped them and voila – a gummy turned marshmallow texture!
So far I have tried these with a few different juices, and also a sugar-free version with a beautiful rosewater kefir. This beautiful pink version is using sour cherry juice. Just like gummies, these will not work with pineapple, papaya or kiwi fruit as they contain an enzyme that won’t allow the gelatin to set.
Basically – the recipe is the same as gummies, but you whip them. If you have a Thermomix it makes the whipping process really easy, but you can also use a hand whisk or electric whisk for the same effect.
- Baking Paper
- Thermomix OPTIONAL
- 500 ml juice or for sugar-free version use water kefir
- 5 TBSP gelatin
- Add the juice/kefir to a small saucepan and sprinkle over the top the gelatin powder.
- Leave for a couple of minutes and allow to ‘bloom’ - this is when the liquid absorbs the gelatin and it will have a wrinkled appearance
- Pop the saucepan on a low heat, and stir until the gelatin is dissolved (should take just a couple of minutes).
- Allow to cool to room temperature! This step is important for the whipping!
- Place in a bowl and using an electric whisk, whisk for 5-7 minutes until light and fluffy! Be patient, it will feel like nothing is happening for a few minutes! Alternatively If you have a Thermomix, pop the butterfly whisk in and put on speed 4 for 5 minutes (measuring cup off, pop steamer basket on top of lid to avoid splashes).
- Line a baking dish or glass dish with baking paper, and spread the marshmallow mixture over - can be as thick or thin as you like!
- Place in the fridge for at least 6 hours before cutting - once set, cut into shapes you like and eat!