AGE APPROPRIATE: When on 2 meals a day
SERVES: 1 adult and 1 child
These oats are a staple in our house – mainly because I can pre-prepare them the day before, making those busy mornings that little bit easier! These overnight oats are soured, which breaks down the phytic acid on the oats, making them a lot easier to digest and allowing the body too readily absorb more of the nutrients.
Soured Overnight Oats
- Stirring Utensil
- Stirring Utensil
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- 2 tsp flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 cup milk or mylk of choice
- 1 TBSP butter or ghee*
- 1 egg yolk Can omit
- 1 serve collagen Can omit
- ½ banana sliced
- 1 Small handful of sliced strawberries, blueberries and/or raspberries
- 1 TBSP cacao nibs
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- handful of grated carrot
- 1-2 tsp tahini
- 1-2 tsp nut butter of choice
- coconut yoghurt
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- chia seed jam
- Add oats, chia seeds, hemp seeds and flaxseed meal into a jar or container and cover with filtered water, add a tsp of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Place a lid or a cover over, and leave overnight (or at least 6 hours).
- When ready to cook, rinse the oat mixture under running water until water starts to run semi-clear.
- To a medium size saucepan, add the oat mixture, milk of choice, butter/ghee, egg yolk and collagen powder (add any optional extras of choice here also).
- Cook the oat mixture on a low heat until thickened and warm, stir occasionally. Add a splash more milk if they thicken too much.
**Egg yolk, collagen powder and butter are all optional - these make a great balanced meal but none of the ingredients are necessary to make the porridge work.
- Oats for quinoa flakes for GF
- Butter for ghee or coconut oil or nut butter
- Egg yolk/collagen for nut butter or tahini
- You can omit flaxseed meal/hemp seeds/chia seeds and this porridge will still work fine. These are just for the nutritional benefit! This will last 2-3 days in the fridge
Also makes a delicious portable meal if you pop it in a jar for lunchboxes or to take out with you.