This recipe is for from my book Milk to Meals and its an easy oven baked fish with pineapple salsa and chips.
Fish is a beautiful food for babies, soft and tender and nutrient dense, so its such an easy one to share with them. Its also an amazing food for pregnancy and postpartum, so atleast if you’re eating your toddlers leftovers, you will be benefiting! Full of omega 3/DHA for developing brains (and mum brain)!
The beauty of this recipe is that its so quick to make, and can be easily adapted for your baby.. I have paired mine with a fresh pineapple salsa because its summer here in Australia, and the kids always think fruit for dinner is a novelty!
For BLW i have served with the pineapple core which is a great ‘hard munchable’ food – which is a food that helps our babies sensory processes. It is essentially a food they cannot choke on as its too hard/large to get into the airway, so its great for teething, mapping the mouth, and for them to learn the action of chewing without the risk – a great way to introduce finger foods if it worries you!
I have also paired with some sauerkraut for probiotics!
For the puree I have added the pineapple, fish, potato, sauerkraut and some water.
Baked Fish and Pineapple Salsa
- 1 TBSP butter or ghee melted
- 1 TBSP parsley
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 TBSP capers
- 500 grams deboned white fish barramundi, snapper etc
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 2 cups diced pineapple
- 1/4 small red onion finely diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup coriander roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup mint roughly chopped
- 1 lime juiced and squeezed
- 1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- preheat the oven to 180 C
- finely chop the parsley and garlic and mix into the melted butter
- tear off a long piece of baking paper big enough to wrap the fish in, and place the thinly sliced lemon on top of it, and then place the fish fillets on top of that. Spread the herb butter over the fish.
- wrap the fish in the baking paper, making sure no steam can escape
- bake for 15 minutes for thin fillets, and 20 minutes for thicker fillets. Then allow the fish to rest for three minutes out of the oven whilst still wrapped.
- Add all the ingredients into a medium bowl and toss to combine well. Give the Salsa a taste and add a little more salt and lime juice if needed.