AGE APPROPRIATE: 1 meal a day +
Almond milk can be given from 6 months once you’ve introduced almonds. Almond milk is NOT considered enough protein to be used for allergen introduction, you would use an almond meal or almond nut butter for this.
Most store-bought almond milks contain less than 7% almonds, and are mostly just an almond flavoured water. Theres nothing wrong with using them, but once you try homemade almond milk, its pretty hard to go back to store bought!
Homemade Almond Milk
- 1 Container
- 1 Blender
- 2 cups almonds soaked overnight - or at least a few hours in warm water and a pinch of salt - this will activate them.
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 date (Optional)
- 1 vanilla bean (Optional)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (Optional)
- Soak almonds overnight (covered in warm water and a pinch of salt)
- Drain almonds
- Add to blender with 3 cups filtered water
- Add optional extras if you would like
- Strain in nut bag (I just use a canvas bag cut up) over a sieve over a bowl
- Store in fridge for up to 3 days