Cherry and liver? Say what.. don’t be too turned off, with this combo, the liver is negligible in taste – but the benefits are still there! And in a the form of a delicious snack your little ones (and you) will keep reaching for.
For this recipe we have used desiccated liver – which is dried liver turned into a powder. This process involves removing the water content from the liver while preserving its nutritional components.
Liver is a nutrient-dense organ meat that is high in iron, zinc, vitamin A and B vitamins. It is a source of haem iron, which is the type of iron found in animal tissues and is more easily absorbed by the body compared to non-haem iron found in plant foods.
Cherry and Liver Gummies
- 2.5 TBSP gelatin
- 1/2 cup water for blooming the gelatin
- 3/4 cup cherry juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 capsules desiccated liver or 1-2 tsp liver powder
- 1 tsp honey omit under 12 months
- Bloom the gelatin by adding it to 1/2 cup water. Stir well and set aside to bloom (thicken)
- Add the cherry juice, water, honey* and opened liver capsules to a small saucepan over a low heat
- Spoon the thickened gelatin into the saucepan and mix until dissolved
- Pour the mixture into gummy moulds or wide dish and place in the fridge to set for 3 hours