Spelt Pizza Base and Tomato Sauce
- 1 Baking Tray
- 1 bowl
- 650 grams white spelt flour
- 400 mls lukewarm water
- 20 grams olive oil
- 5 grams salt
- 5 grams instant yeast
Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 kg ripe tomatoes
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves small garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to the highest possible setting with the baking tray or pizza stone inside
- Mix the instant yeast with the lukewarm water and stir well. Set aside
- In a large bowl, add in the white spelt flour, salt and olive oil. Mix gently to combine
- Pour in the instant yeast and warm water
- Bring the dough together with your hands, then lightly dust a benchtop with flour. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until you have formed a smooth dough
- Portion the dough up into 5, and place into 5 bowls, then cover with a plate or tea towel.
- Allow the dough to rest for 20 minutes
- Once the dough has rested, remove one of them from the bowl and place onto a lightly floured board. With the tips of your fingers, gently press the dough outwards from the middle to begin forming the shape of your pizza. Then pick up the dough and gently stretch it out between your hands/fingers.
- Place the base back onto the floured board and top with your choice of toppings. Do this one at a time so the dough isn't out too long.
- Slide the base into the preheated oven onto the tray/pizza stone and cook for roughly 5-7 minutes, or until the crusts are golden. Whilst this one is cooking, prep the next pizza.
- * You can also wrap the dough in glad wrap and leave it overnight in the fridge to bake the following day. This creates a more aerated dough. If following this method, remove the pizza base from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking and follow the same cooking instructions above
- Preheat the oven to 170 C
- To make the tomato sauce wash the tomatoes and chop into quarters. If using cherry tomatoes, they do not need chopping.
- Roast the tomatoes on a baking tray with the olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Peel the garlic and place the whole cloves into the baking tray too.
- Roast in pre-heated oven for one hour, then blend until smooth, passata like consistency.